Sunday, July 4, 2010

Iceburg, straight ahead!

Yesterday we took a 9 hour boat ride to see the Northwestern Glacier in the Kenai Fjords National Park. This definitely wasn't a boat ride for those with a weak stomach but we all managed to avoid feeding the fish and enjoyed the scenery and wildlife.

There were multiple glaciers but the biggest was the Northwestern. The boat got really close and as we approached we were going through what looked like a sheet of ice. I didn't want to say the 'T' word but I did have a sudden urge to stand at the bow of the boat with my arms open wide and say 'I'm flying Scott, I'm flying.' It turned out to be chuncks of ice, not a sheet of it. The highlight of the trip by far was watching huge chunks of ice fall from the glacier into the water. I guess this is called calving. I managed to take lots of pictures and we'll post some tomorrow.

For now, we have a long trip back and I'm sure sleeping on the plane won't be a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment